First Meetup for Greening of Streaming!
Time & Location
About the Event
Greening of Streaming: Focussing on Sustainability in the Streaming Ecosystem.
With the massive uplift in streaming consumption (both for entertainment and for face-to-face meeting replacement) the general population is far more aware of streaming services and is starting to question the impact of these services on the planet and for the various members of the industry to respond to this.
Greening of Streaming has been created to raise awareness of the issues, spread best practice and provide a collective voice for the industry to address wider stakeholders and external observers of the sector focussing on sustainability.
It will be prepared to hold a mirror up for its members to reflect on their own practices and see how they could improve.
We are delighted to have Adam Curwin join full time as Executive Director to provide impetus and energy to the process. Adam has a background in ecology through “big accountancy” all the way through to heading up EDF’s Green Energy product suite, so he is very familiar with the ins and outs of power generation and consumption. Deliberately he is something of a streaming outsider, but is already very familiar with many of our challenges.
Call to Action:
We would love you to join us on this journey - and indeed, as an early adopter, to help define its direction.
To explain more, we are inviting organisations who we think might be interested as prospective members to attend an open initial Greening of Streaming meeting online on 9th September 2021 in which we will:
- Lay out in detail the principles of the organisation
- Present our mission statement and an initial draft of the Greening of Streaming statement of intent
- Hear from Dr Daniel Schien from Bristol University, whose research focuses on the complex system of interactions between use of ICT services, use of infrastructure and design of ICT services - We have invited him to help our sector begin to frame some lexicon, and common terms of reference to better enable us to discuss key issues around sustainability and streaming.
- We will also hear from two of the largest infrastructure providers to the streaming sector:
- Akamai, on some of the challenges they face and how they have been approaching their response.
- Intel, who are dealing with a number of different yet equally impacting sustainability issues in their own sector
>>We are inviting further short presentations from attendees - see below if you would like to contribute!<<
This initial meeting is there to gauge interest and steer the organisation’s direction.
To register for the event please do so here:
Please note: We are very interested to hear from prospective members who might have an interesting case study, or some best practice advice, or some views on strategies the industry could take together - we want to bring you into our events to hear what the important topics of the day are. If you are considering joining the event, and have some experience, insight and thought leadership to bring, please complete this form so we can try to include you in the formal programming: https://forms.gle/Kw7gTViQECNDcCRk6
Immediately following this initial event, we will be inviting attendees to become Founder Members; Founder Members being a title only offered up to the end of September. (Thereafter all new members will be ‘Full Members’ with all the same rights).
Naturally we would be delighted if your organisation were to become a Founder Member of Greening of Streaming!
To Infinity and Beyond (!)
After that we plan to start formal Member meetings in October (virtually) and to discuss topics already planned by Greening of Streaming including:
- Commissioning papers around ‘state of the sector’ on energy usage
- Representing the industry at trade events and in policy discussions
- Setting up discussions with the relevant government bodies
Plus some details for operating:
- Finalisation of statement of intent and draft
- Confirmation of Chair / Steering Committee
- Ratification of output for next quarterly meeting
- Planning of Schedule for Greening of Streaming goals
- Hear from a member on their greening activities and learnings
- Discussion of next items to schedule for Greening of Streaming promotion
We expect to hold a formal launch event at the UK Parliament in mid November to:
- Engage with interested MP’s plus representatives from the Departments of Trade and Industry, Energy and Environment and Media, Culture and Sport
- Launch a clear industry manifesto
- Hear from The Internet Service Providers’ Association (ISPA) as an existing body operating in a related field
- <<Your suggestions go here!>>
We plan to work with members to then follow up with similar launch events in the US and Asia - Covid allowing etc.
Will you join us?
I hope you are as excited and driven to action by Greening of Streaming as we are. Do let us know if you would like to attend (or even speak) at that first event on Sept 9th as soon as possible.
Once again the links:
Sept 9th Event Registration:
Expression of Interest to Present: https://forms.gle/Kw7gTViQECNDcCRk6 .
Having you on board at the outset would be a great start to the Greening of Streaming journey!
Please reach out to Adam (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Welcome from Dom Robinson, Tim Siglin and Adam Curwin (15min)
Keynote by Daniel Schien of Bristol University