Thu, 09 Sept|
First Meetup for Greening of Streaming
Greening of Streaming has been created to raise awareness of sustainability issues, spread best practice and provide a voice to wider stakeholders and external observers of the industry. This will be our first formal meeting to explore the issues our sector is facing, and to invite Founder Members.
Time & Location
09 Sept 2021, 17:00 – 21:00 BST
About the Event
Greening of Streaming: Focussing on Sustainability in Streaming.
With the massive uplift in streaming consumption there is far more awareness of streaming services and the impact of these services on the planet.
Greening of Streaming has been created to raise awareness of the issues, spread best practice and provide a voice to wider stakeholders and external observers of the industry.
It will be prepared to hold a mirror up for its members to reflect on their own practices and see how they could improve.
We are delighted to have Adam Curwin join full time as Executive Director to provide impetus and energy to the process. Adam has a background in ecology through “big accountancy” all the way through to heading up EDF’s Green Energy product suite, so he is very familiar with the ins and outs of power generation and consumption. Deliberately he is something of a streaming outsider, but is already very familiar with many of our challenges.
Call to Action:
We would love you to join us on this journey - and indeed, as an early adopter, to help define its direction.
To explain more, we are inviting organisations who we think might be interested as prospective members to attend an open initial Greening of Streaming meeting online on 9th September 2021 in which we will:
- Lay out the principles of the organisation
- Introduce the Greening of Streaming "mission" and goals
- Hear from Dr Daniel Schien from Bristol University, whose research focuses on the complex system of interactions between use of ICT services, use of infrastructure and design of ICT services - We have invited him to help our sector begin to frame some lexicon, and common terms of reference to better enable us to discuss key issues around sustainability and streaming.
We will also hear in some depth from two of the largest infrastructure providers to the streaming sector:
- Akamai, on some of the challenges they face and how they have been approaching their response.
- Intel, who are dealing with a number of different yet equally impacting sustainability issues in their own sector.
... and then we have EIGHT short 5 min presentations from a wide range of Infrastrcuture, Encoding, Network, CDN and Production organisations across the streaming sector to stimulate thought, raise awareness of the problem space facing Streaming with Sustainability and to scope the range of issues that we expect members of Greening of Streaming to focus on.
This will be followed by a short presentation from both the CDNAlliance and the StreamingVideoAlliance to understand more about how industry groups can be effective, and to open the door to working together on sustainability issues.
To register for the event please do so here:
Immediately following this initial event, we will be inviting attendees to become Founder Members; Founder Members being a title only offered up to the end of September. (Thereafter all new members will be ‘Full Members’ with all the same rights).
Naturally we would be delighted if your organisation were to become a Founder Member of Greening of Streaming!
To Infinity and Beyond(!)
We plan to start formal monthly Member meetings in October and to discuss topics already planned by Greening of Streaming including:
- Commissioning papers around ‘state of the sector’ on energy usage
- Representing the industry at trade events and in policy discussions
- Setting up discussions with the relevant government bodies
Plus some details for operating:
- Finalisation of statement of intent and draft
- Confirmation of Chair / Steering Committee
- Ratification of output for next quarterly meeting
- Planning of Schedule for Greening of Streaming goals
- Hear from a member on their greening activities and learnings
- Discussion of next items to schedule for Greening of Streaming promotion
We expect to hold a formal launch event at the UK Parliament in early December to:
- Engage with interested MP’s plus representatives from the Departments of Trade and Industry, Energy and Environment and Media, Culture and Sport
- Share a clear industry Best Practice statement with case studies
- Hear from The Internet Service Providers’ Association (ISPA) as an existing body operating in a related field
- <<Memeber suggestions go here!>>
Will you join us?
I hope you are as excited and driven to action by Greening of Streaming as we are.
Once again the link:
Sept 9th Event Registration:
Having you on board at the outset would be a great start to the Greening of Streaming journey!
Please reach out to Adam (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Welcome from Dom Robinson, Tim Siglin and Adam Curwin (15min)
Keynote by Daniel Schien of Bristol University